Monday, July 11, 2016

Next refashion! More dress-making :)

I went through my closet, trying to find the perfect t-shirt to transform into the top of my next dress, and when I found this neglected, rarely worn black one, I knew this would work well as the top yoke for my paisley satin fabric, sourced from the LA Fashion District for the grand price of $1 per yard!

The shirt fabric wasn't too flimsy, which meant that it could support the skirt well, and it was a fitted shirt, which means that it would work well as the top of the dress. I did not like the 3/4 length sleeves, so those had to be cut off. After that, I marked the length of the sleeves and the start of my skirt with the help of safety pins while trying it on (be careful to not poke yourself :)).
Then I drafted my skirt, measuring my waist, dividing that by 4 to determine the top to cut off, measuring the minimum length that I wanted for the dress (I like my dresses to hide my knees), folded the fabric, and cut. There are several tutorials you can find on the interwebs  for making a hanky hem dress :) I would say it took me no more than an hour and a half from start to finish. I love the dress, and it got a lot of love when I shared it on my Facebook. 
I still have over one yard of this fabric left, and then 4 more dress fabrics from my LA Fashion district haul to work through, but I must say that I am quite happy with what I have accomplished so far! Let me know what you think about my dresss, I would love to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment