Sunday, November 29, 2015

Turtle crochet applique- FREE PATTERN!!

My daughter wanted to make the turtle blanket from here (you might have to scroll down quite a bit). Very cute- shows baby turtles making their way from the beach sand into the water. The blogger used a generic ripple blanket pattern for the base, and paid for the turtle pattern on Ravelry. Me being me (aka cheep cheep), I decided to try my hand at making a turtle myself. It turned out fairly OK, at which point, my daughter said she needed me to write down the instructions, so she could make the rest of the batch.
AND, this led to the evolution of a FREE pattern for you :)
Turtle crochet appliqué pattern
Sz 5 hook
Worsted weight yarn- 2 shades of green- need scraps
With darker green, ch2.
6 sc in 2nd ch from hook, join round with sl st.
Attach lighter green. 3 ch (works as 1st dc), 2 dc in same sc, 3 dc in each sc (18 dc), join with sl st to top of 3 ch.  Cut off light yarn.
With darker yarn, sc on top of 3 ch, *do spike st (pick up st from sc row), 2 sc in next dc, 1 sc in next dc* repeat 5 times. Sl st at end of row.
Making feet and head- 4 ch, sc in 2ch from hook, 1 hdc in next ch, 1 sc in next ch, sl st in base sc row (1 leg made). Sl st to next sc, 6 ch, 1 dc in 3rd ch from hook, 3 more dc in eac ch to end, sl st to base sc row (head made), sl st to next sc, 4 ch, sc in 2ch from hook, 1 hdc in next ch, 1 sc in next ch, sl st in base sc row (2nd leg made). Tie off leaving a tail long enough for sewing your appliqué on.
Skip 6 sc from leg made on left side, attach dark yarn, 4 ch, sc in 2ch from hook, 1 hdc in next ch, 1 sc in next ch, sl st in base sc row (3rd leg made). Sl st to next sc, 2 ch, 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook, sl st to base row, sl st in next sc, 4 ch, sc in 2ch from hook, 1 hdc in next ch, 1 sc in next ch, sl st in base sc row (4th leg made).

My daughter tried it out once, so I'm hoping that you are able to follow and get the same results. But again, I am by no means a professional pattern writer, so this is my amateur attempt- Try it at your own risk :D
Do leave a comment if you are successful!

No comments:

Post a Comment