Tuesday, March 31, 2015

One more felt mat, and my first recipe.

My Easter candle mat sold within 2 days, so that was nice. It also means that I can go ahead and make more of that pattern. I also made a couple of these maple leaf ones, listed currently in my Ebay store....

I'm currently working on a heart/ Valentine themed one as well.....On another note, since my older daughter will be moving to California to start her residency, I'm trying to teach her some basic recipes to make on her own. I know, I know, it's finally sinking in......No Mommy to provide packed containers of food anymore :( So, in that quest, the first recipe we tried out are these
Vegan Yellow Mung Daal cheela with carrots and onion (also Gluten-free) Recipe
Cheela is basically a savory pancake....very healthy, you get your protein.
2 cups yellow washed skinless mung daal (buy at Indian store or Whole foods?)
1/4 cup besan (chickpea flour)- you can use whole wheat flour also but it will not be gluten-free anymore.
3 carrots, grated
1 onion, chopped finely
1 green chilli, chopped finely
salt and red chilli powder to taste
vegetable oil
1. Soak daal for a couple hours, and then grind to a paste with enough water in your mixer.
2. Add the remaining ingredients except the oil.
3. The batter should be pourable consistency, but not watery or runny. Add more besan if this is the case.
4. Heat your electric griddle to the max (you can just make them in a flat pan instead). Add a couple drops of oil, drop a large tablespoon of batter and spread it out to make a thick pancake. You should be able to get 4-5 on your griddle. If they are too large, you will have trouble flipping them.
5. Sprinkle a few drops of oil to the top of the cheela, flip over, and cook till browned patches appear, pressing down with your spatula to make sure it cooks evenly.
6. Take them off, and enjoy with tomato chutney, chilli pickle, plain yogurt or even Sriracha sauce :)


This is my first recipe, so it would be heartening to hear a comment, if you do try it out :) Also, please keep in mind that I'm an amateur trying my hand at writing out a recipe, not a seasoned professional who has published several cookbooks, so the quantities are just eyeballed ones...you can use your own judgement with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment